Monday, September 19

When Your Bike Doesn't Get Stolen?

Especially when it's not even yours!

For those who read my "When You Get Injured Two Days Before A Race" entry, you will know that my pal MK lent me a mountain bike at the beginning of the summer. On Saturday, September 10th, when I should have been racing, I decided to move my bike from my little hallway down to the bike racks outdoors. Locking it outside of my building gave me that gleam of hope (versus putting it back in my storage locker, 4 levels below ground) that I would get one more ride in before the cold weather hit. And if you read this aforementioned post, you will know that my friend ML lent me a bike lock, which gave me the option of even locking it outside.

Perfect. I take the bike down and out and into the only rack space left. I spend the next 3 minutes ensuring that I got the coil lock right. It goes through my bike frame, the rack hook, the front tire, and into it's locked position. I give the bike a little tug, and I know it's secured. Take that, potential thief!

On Friday, September 16th, MK came over and I pointed out his bike that was in the rack. Except that it wasn't in the rack. It was leaning against the bike to its left with the lock still intertwined in the front tire and frame...just not on the rack. What the hell happened?!

Scenario 1) I did a horrible job at locking it to the hook, and thus a) a thief took advantage, but realized he/she couldn't ride away on it because the lock was preventing the front tire from moving, or b) a friendly neighbour, when trying to lock his/her bike back up, realized that mine was not secured, and said "Hah! Idiot", and left it leaning on another bike.
Scenario 2) Some evil individual did find a way to get my bike off of the rack, but then realized the bike wouldn't get anywhere unless he/she cut the lock off of the tire first. So he/she left it there.

I hope it's Option 1B. However it went down, the bike is back safe with its negligent borrower.
Lucky Lish: 1, Thief/Friendly Neighbour: 0!

2 comments:

  1. You can never be too cautious. Best to do this from now on: http://www.jokeroo.com/pictures/funny/excessive-bike-lock.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoooa... same thing happened to me when i was little once, and I think it's 2! Crazzzzyyyy. Must be a relief... good thing whoever did that didn't add a lock haha.

    ReplyDelete