Monday, September 26

When You Get Back At It?

Because with a title like this, I'm bound to get your curious minds wondering...(get your mind out of the gutter)!

And now that I've got your attention (sorry to mislead you), I'm going to tell you a story about how I fell off every single wagon imaginable.

I'm going to take you back 3 weeks to about the time I went to visit my sis and future bro-in-law in NYC. I hope that you will all agree with me that vacations exempt you from all of life's rigid rules we choose to follow, such as eating healthily and exercising regularly. Though my sister and I hustled around the city like a true New Yorker and a tourist, and I threw in one mediocre gym work-out, my calorie-burning attempts doesn't even come close to cancelling out the 5 Magnolia/Crumbs cupcakes and 20 dumplings I ate.

2.5 weeks ago, when I returned from NYC, I squeezed in one final workout. And then the injury happened.

2 weeks ago, I had an impromptu dinner party - the start of of my quick fall down the slippery slope (note: this wouldn't have been considered the start of my downfall if I was able to do my race that morning. This would have been more celebratory in nature). I had wonderful food, drink, and company. "This life is totally better than training life!" I told myself.

1.5 weeks ago, I turn into a full-on glutton. I was polluting myself with toxic goodness almost daily, and eating anything and everything that came my way. I was loving every minute of it!

1 week ago, the intoxicating pattern continues (double meaning intended).

A few days ago, I recognized that my "all enjoyment, no physical movement" act is a direct correlation to my belly size. Why do the consequences of my fun times always have to concentrate to this one area?! I also had a lovely chat with KH in Korea, and we were talking about how our recent life styles were so not "us", and how she had a weekend full of exciting activities she wanted to do for herself.

A couple days ago, I forced myself to go to yoga. I went back to the class I started with, i.e. the more chill class with basic hatha poses where the temperature of the room seems more tolerable. It was disheartening. When you stop going to yoga consistently, you immediately notice the tightness in all corners of your body, and you feel like you've lost all your limberness you worked so hard to gain. And to top it all off, I felt very sore the next day. Hello, eye opener!

Yesterday, I went grocery shopping. I got my essentials as well as produce...and a baguette and cheese...and I popped into the LCBO on my way out to buy 2 bottles of wine (damn you new LCBO right next to Longos)!! I fought the urge to crack open the wine, and I have accepted that there will never be a thing called portion control in my life. I enjoy food way too much and I lack the willpower to put restrictions on myself. But wait for it...

Today, I put on my runners and just went for it. Possibly due to my frustration with my Achilles, possibly due to the crappy work day, possibly because my belly told me so. Whatever it was, it worked. My walk turned into a jog and before I felt myself reaching a Forrest Gump bolt, I went back to walking. Last thing I need is a re-injury! I felt just minimal pain in my foot, which is a sure sign that I'm healing, and will heal soon enough if I continue to be careful.

Moral of this story is to never fall off the "active living" wagon again, and if you do, don't fall off the "debauchery should be saved for special occasions only" wagon, as well. Because it's a deadly combo right there. Plus it's a bit easier to hop back onto one wagon at a time. Trying to straddle both as they are moving just means you are more likely to end up where you started...stuck in the fun mud.

Ladies and Gents, I am back at it!

1 comment:

  1. awwwn... this is the story of my past few weeks too... when i was motivated by your training schedule, i had lost about 3-4 lbs and was feeling more energetic. then i've gained it all back and more. I can't wait for my ankle to heel so I can get back at it too. Hatha level 1 here i come!

    ReplyDelete