Because like birthdays, moving out with financial independence is a milestone in life that deserves a celebration (or at least a blog post).
I moved to the downtown core of Toronto at the end of February this year. I remember a whirlwind of activities taking place all within a week's time to secure my place including chatting with an agent, looking at 5 units, falling head over heels with the 2nd unit I saw, being distracted and not caring about the remaining 3 units I viewed as I was already mind-furnishing the 2nd unit, submitting my tenant application, negotiating rent, and then feeling great relief and elation when I was approved to be the tenant.
Six months later, a few things I love include:
- being able to walk around nekked, or with clothes on...it's totally my call
- coming home to my own space knowing it's exactly the same way I left it in...be it messy or tidy (it's generally always this way which is a pleasant feeling)
- being able to throw away garbage and recycling just outside my door (with the one downside that if you accidentally send recycling down the garbage chute, you can't take it back so easily)
- being 10 minutes or less away, in any direction, from anything I would ever need
- chilling out on my balcony doing anything or nothing because my south-facing view is hypnotizing:
A few things that may take a bit longer to adjust to include:
- the fire truck sirens all day and night long...because the fire hall is just down the street
- Shangri-La construction noise preventing me from ever sleeping in past 7am on weekdays, or stealing a nap when I get home from work
- the general "clubbing crowd" noise on Friday and Saturday nights, which is a hit or miss, but if I am woken up, then you know it's quite the obnoxious drunken yelling that did it
- dealing with a bare fridge here and there, which is the consequence of being too lazy to go grocery shopping without a car (the closest decent one is 10 minutes away...practically at the very end of my world in the south-east direction)
- not having a quiet park or forest I am comfortable enough to hideaway in whenever I feel like it
But all in all, so far so good! Love you, Home :).
Ahahaha i love this post!
ReplyDeleteI'm amazed by how clean your place is, all the time - my place is just a sty compared to yours. But i understand your love for your home!! it's such a nice little refuge from the bullshit outside. horray for your home :)