Especially when that race is a net new one in your life, and it was your only goal of the year...to train and complete one. I can see it now on sportstats.ca:
Name: Alisha Man, F-25
City: Toronto
Race: Wasaga Beach Try-a-Triathlon
Chip Time: DNF
Okay I'll stop making it sound like the end of the world, but it was definitely very upsetting! Just another case of bad luck and bad timing. My diagnosis is Achilles tendinitis, i.e. it is extremely painful to walk in any type of shoe that has a backing. With every step, I feel a sharp stabbing pain in my Achilles. Apparently, any form of excessive physical activity can cause it. Healing time is at least a month. So I will be chillin and icing it, and walking around leisurely in my Birkenstocks.
Though Race Day won't be happening, thanks to family and friends for putting up with my training woes and your words of encouragement. Special SHOUT OUTS, HEYYY to the following people:
KH- Thanks for signing up with me! I likely wouldn't have otherwise. You've been my fitness and health motivation since high school :).
EHR - It was an automatic impulse to message you first when I realized that I had no idea what to expect for this race. Your tips and advice are invaluable and I will be referring back to your note when I do one next year. Did you know that my first (and most recent) open water swim was with you in Meech Lake...6 years ago??
ML - I went on my first bike ride in a long time with you. Thanks for attempting to un-wrench V's padded seat with what is apparently a useless tool set from your Ride for Heart race, lending me a hard-to-figure-out gel seat instead, and attempting to put together a wrench from your fishing toolbox :).
MK - Thanks for lending me your mountain bike from your youth. You delivered it to me as soon as I said I was training for this. It sat in my storage locker for longer than necessary, but then it became the only bike I trained on. Oh and it has a VIP spot now in the hallway of my condo!
BrownMF - Two weeks before the race, when I realized I should be doing this on a road bike, I reached out to you. Thanks for teaching me about clip-in pedals and biking shoes with cleats and almost lending me your bike, if only the Orillia-Toronto logistics worked out. Next year dude, we're doing one together!
MM - The excessive NYC-style walking may have aggravated my Achilles, but it could have also very well helped me build the endurance I so badly lack. It's quite the moot point, but regardless, you are always so supportive :).
MixieMF - Four days before race day, when I panicked about my bike situation again, I remembered seeing a FB update from you about buying a used road bike. Thanks for almost lending it to me!
KO - You were an Optimistic Owen as I gave you the play-by-plays upon discovery of my injury. But Humorous Horatio kept me smiling :).
KK - You understand how frustrating and discouraging an injury is. Thanks for the good luck message anyway, and then the "shit, I'm sorry to hear" call soon after the message.
I feel the love, loud and strong!
Awn, the bike seats were a fail, haha... It sucks that you got injured but the triathlon was a goal for you to get fit and you are! I'm sure these crazy things come up multiple times a year, which means you have good reasons to maintain fitness until then.... Kind of a silver lining no?
ReplyDelete