Because even if everything goes horribly wrong outside of your box, at least you can say "hey - I gave it a try, but this sure ain't for me! There will be no next time".
I took a giant step out of my bubble over the Canada Day long weekend. 7 friends and I went on a back-country canoe/portage trip in Algonquin Park. I have never been to Algonquin before, have only leisurely paddled in a canoe for short distances at cottages before, never portaged or knew what that even meant before, and never camped before. It's kind of odd considering I am a nature/outdoors lover. I guess most of my treks have just been day trips since I like to be able to come home at the end of it all to shower and sleep in my luxurious bed.
Similar to my hike to find a crashed WWII bomber plane in Tofino, B.C. and my hike up the Chief in Squamish, B.C., this was one of the most physically & mentally strenuous challenges I have done in my life to date. However, it was a ridiculously rewarding, memorable, and fun adventure which I would do again and again each year. I got to test my boundaries, and when I was outside of my comfort box, I felt proud - so proud that if my shoulders and upper back weren't so bruised from portaging, I would give myself a pat on the back. The bonding that took place between our group was another aspect that I loved. Everyone was always offering a hand to carry heavy and awkwardly-shaped things on top of their own gear, and also, without hesitation, divided and conquered tasks to set up camp swiftly when we got to the first site late due to 400 series traffic. Working with just a little bit of sunlight left, we got 3 tents and a fire started beautifully. This was one dynamic and cohesive group, let me tell ya.
Some of my favorite moments were:
1) Everyone sharing with the group whether they were successful on the "Thunder Box" or not (i.e. a box over the ground where you take a crap at each camp site).
2) Everyone trying to make others eat their food that they packed because we poorly planned how many snacks each individual would need.
3) Although everyone was lying in their tents by 10pm, exhausted from the day's paddling and portaging, they still belted out "Happy Birthday" to me.
4) Swimming, laughing, and playing Monkey in the Middle with a football in our life jackets in one of the smaller lakes.
5) Comparing how many bug bites each person got from the trip, and everyone reporting their count when we got home (if you are curious, the range was from 10-115 bites).
I am still smiling despite how itchy I am because in this case, I have a burst of motivation to keep stepping outside of my box. Who knows, I might find something else I love to do if I climb over my walls. I encourage you to come join me on this side! I can still taste the fresh air...
The Team
(minus 2, as they stayed for another night)
No comments:
Post a Comment