It's a rare gem that many people cannot find (or choose not to find) in their daily "go go go" lives. When you do experience the fulfillment you get from doing absolutely nothing, and not feel guilty about it, you realize "why did I not incorporate this into my life before"? Likely because we are somewhat programmed to feel bad any time we become too lazy. But I'm telling ya, don't feel bad! It's for your overall well-being to relax.
I had the opportunity to get away from the city for 4 days. Perhaps I was extremely burnt out from the work routine, or maybe I was feeling suffocated with the city environment, but I was unbelievably excited to spend a few days at a cottage on Georgian Bay with my best gal pal. For the first 2.5 days, it rained. It didn't matter because we thoroughly enjoyed going down Memory Lane by watching 6 VHS movies on a TV from the '80s, with our bodies molding into the rustic couch. For the last 1.5 days, the sun was blazing, and we thoroughly enjoyed laying outside looking onto the lake, and reading/napping. The only time we exerted a minimal amount of energy was getting up to prepare a meal, getting up to use the washroom, getting up to cool off in the lake, or laughing really hard at something silly or stupid we were talking about.
When I returned, the people that don't take some time out of their crazy busy lives naturally asked me: "What do you mean you did nothing? Don't you get bored? I would go nuts. How come it was just the two of you? Aren't cottages more fun with a big group of people"? In which I replied: "Hah! You clearly don't know me. I am Queen Sloth. Plus, spending time with just your thoughts, and with a close friend is healthy. We bonded tremendously by doing nothing. I admire everyone who has mastered the ability to be comfortable doing nothing. It's all about the balance, ya know"? Then I get the: "Oh, I suppose....well, good for you!" response.
I know there will always be that select group of people who will never be able to slow down even just for a day, but maybe when they notice how much better off the balanced people are, they will at least give it a try. Go ahead...after all, it is a long weekend.
Happy Canada Day! Do everything or do nothing. Just enjoy.
Don't you feel a bit peeved when you're compelled to justify why you did nothing? Although I must admit, sometimes I am scared of spending time with my own thoughts... i like the buzz of a crowd around me even if i'm being solitary (e.g. studying in a cafeteria)...
ReplyDeletethat said it sounded like a recharging weekend - i hope you had a really good birthday too.