Thursday, July 21

When You Make a Return?

Because who doesn't like money back in their pocket? I'm not talking about the returns you have to make because something is defective, but rather, the returns you make because what you purchased was totally not necessary, or sometimes even useless to you. You know what I'm talking about - those purchases you make because you're having a bad day? Or because it looks pretty and shiny in the window? Or because you've justified it in your head at the time that you need it?

Since moving out and being financially independent, I am very cognizant of where I spend my dollars. You don't really have a choice when you choose to live downtown because dang, cost of living ain't cheap! Thankfully, I was raised to know the value of a dollar, and making the transition from living at home and having minimal expenses to paying for everything was not as rough as it is (or will be) for some. I still had to make some spending adjustments though. No more shopping for me! Ouch. Though my wardrobe is quite complete. But when you walk through H&M and they have all these cute summer dresses for cheap, you can't help but pick up your size and buy it. But then once you get home, you start thinking: "How many times will I wear this? It's not work appropriate, and you don't go to that many outings that require a cute dress. That $45 could be spent on a Lululemon top, which can be used all season round. Or better yet, it could be put in your travelling piggy bank". Fold it up and find the receipt because we're heading back!

My lazy ass often sees it as effort to go back to a store. But knowing that I can't afford (literally) to let something hang in my closet with the tag still on, I will make the trek back, and subsequently feel that satisfying thrill. The value could be $5, or it could be $100. It doesn't matter because it still feels like I've done something good for myself when I make a return.

I'm not saying be stingy, or make purchases just out of necessity, but make smart buys and minimize the impulsive buys. That way, when you splurge on something you really want, but don't necessarily need, you will see it as a reward for yourself, and will love and cherish it all the more :).

1 comment:

  1. Wow it takes a lot of self-control and maturity to be able to rationalize it to the point of returning the merchandise... kudos.

    ReplyDelete