Because you know once the downpour is done its pounding, the flowers grow. Okay, very lame analogy...but my point is that 9.5 out of 10 times, you will recover. The next day could be the best day of your life, or it may take weeks, months, or even years to feel better. As long as you know that there is an end to a bad day, you are in great shape.
I almost lost of S(ugar) H(oney) I(ce) T(ea) at work today. Instead, I stayed as calm and collected as possible by staring at my computer screen, and putting every ounce of effort I had to paint on my "fake" face during meetings and talking to co-workers. Common reaction I've noticed in people I talk to is that when something crappy takes place to them from the get go (examples include stubbing your toe on your bed frame as you sleepily get up, getting cut off on your drive in, having a smelly commuter all up in your personal grill on the TTC, spilling coffee on yourself, the list definitely goes on), anything else that remotely doesn't go their way following that adds to the pile of crap. Soon enough, you have the domino effect, and your day gets generalized into the "Bad" bucket. Once you have that mentality ingrained in your head, you start thinking about all previous bad days, making you feel worse, and overwhelming yourself with days that are better off not being reflected on. And then you're just plain old down, and nobody likes to be down. So I tried something new today. I consciously didn't let it get to me.
As my day continued to plummet, I forced myself to stick to my after work plan of getting my friend's bike tuned up (he lent it to me for the summer, and yes, I'm only taking it out of storage now). I'm not sure if the bike guy was supposed to charge me for the work he did, but he didn't. I saw this as a nice gesture and walked out of there smiling. That positive energy I drew from him excited me to go for a jog. That motivation was quickly smashed, as it began to rain. And I didn't want to substitute it for a gym workout since I managed that in the morning. Quick, quick - think of something else to do with that energy! I comforted a friend, I stared into space on my balcony clearing my mind, and I took a bath (to relax and treat myself, and to take advantage of my recently cleaned bath tub) complete with the cliche lit candle and relaxation playlist. The result?
I am at ease once again. Today's Bad Day is of the past. I will sleep soundly, wake up earlier as planned to fit in a "Good Morning" jog, and take the rest of tomorrow as it comes.
No comments:
Post a Comment