Because you're forced to reflect and reset "goals". But we all know it's a rarity to stick to your goals for the entire year (like blogging at least a couple times a month...), so I am going to reflect and look forward instead.
THE 2011 REFLECTION
1. MOVING OUT
- Though I was taught financial responsibility since I was old enough to legally work, you don't get the true test of it until you have to pay for cost of living expenses. And hey, I think I did a-okay for year 1. Sure, I wish I had more money to blow, instead of going from pay cheque to pay cheque, but I am living comfortably and happily.
- The personal growth I did in my own little place during year 1 was exponential. Beyonce, Neyo, and whoever else sings about independence would be proud of me.
2. PROJECT GO-LIVE
- 14 months of efforts at work was put toward one project. This was a biggie for me though. There were lots of gruelling days where I was very close to ripping my face off, but it was quite the accomplishing feeling when SAP (finally) went live at UHN. And then there was the support/attempt to stabilize the system afterwards part which wasn't so fun. But that's okay...I have an SAP implementation on my resume now ;).
3. I HAVE AN UNDYING LOVE FOR THE OUTDOORS
- With the whole paying for rent and all of the cost of living bills associated with it thing, I obviously could not travel as frivolously. So local travel became my vacation norm this past year.
- Portaging in Algonquin Park, hiking/camping in the Bruce Peninsula, and a couple of cottage weekends made my summer. My current desktop wallpaper is a picture I took hiking along the Bruce Trail, overlooking Georgian Bay. Anybody who has seen it always asks: "Where was this taken?", and when I tell them, they reply: "Whoa, I had no idea Ontario had such a pretty place".
These outdoor getaways will definitely be a repeat for me every summer.
LOOKING FORWARD TO 2012
1. TRAVELLING
- Destination: Cozumel with my sister in February for her "bachelorette" :D. I am extremely excited to go on a trip with my sister. It'll be nothing short of chill times, fun times, and adventurous times.
- Destination: Barcelona, Spain for the event of the year...my sister's wedding! I will be a total crying wreck on June 30, but I can't wait to share the day with Mel & Dimitar, and with the rest of our families and their friends. And if that wasn't enough, I will be their travelling tag-a-long afterwards (and no, I am not third-wheeling their honeymoon). Our itinerary will be Bulgaria (Dimi's roots) and Egypt. Following those countries, I will be trekking around continental Europe.
- Potential Destination: East Africa with Mel & Dimi (note, this still isn't their honeymoon) in late December. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything works out because climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro is high on my "To Do" list!
2. ASSUMING A NEW ROLE AT WORK
- Same department, but different team, and different title. I'll let you know how it goes when I start this month!
3. THE UNKNOWN
- I have learned that planning out "the future" rarely works out for me. Either my life isn't meant to be mapped out, or I previously limited myself to a certain mindset, and thus, ended up disappointed when things didn't happen the way I envisioned it. So...What Does Lish Do? I embrace the unknown. I go with the flow, and leave plenty of room for the "what ifs" to play themselves out.
Wishing you and your loved ones a very healthy 2012! And with that health, go make it a happy and enjoyable year! :)
LOL "we all know it's a rarity to stick to your goals for the entire year (like blogging at least a couple times a month...)" - this definitely spoke to me....
ReplyDeleteI'm so proud of you for the past year! all that all together wasn't easy and you still came out #winning. And 2012 is looking really good for you too... hope you rock it :)